Windows Defender is a program that helps protect your computer against malware and other unwanted software. If you are having problems with the Windows Defender Start Actions not working, don’t worry – we can help!
In this article, we will discuss some of the most common causes of this problem and how to fix it. We will also provide some tips on how to keep your computer safe from malware.
Why does Windows Defender ‘Start Actions’ button not working?
There are a few possible reasons why the Start Actions button in Windows Defender might not be working:
- The first possibility is that you do not have administrator privileges. In order to fix this, you will need to contact your system administrator and ask for permission to run Windows Defender.
- Another possibility is that the Windows Defender Service is stopped or disabled. To fix this, you will need to open the services console and start the Windows Defender Service.
- It is also possible that there is a problem with the registry key for Windows Defender. If this is the case, you will need to delete the registry key and then restart your computer.
- A third-party security program could be interfering with Windows Defender.
- Finally, it is possible that a virus or other malware has infected your computer and is preventing Windows Defender from working properly.
How to Fix Windows Defender Start Actions Not Working?
If you are having problems with the start actions not working, there are a few things you can do to fix it.
Sign in With your Administrator Account
If you don’t have administrator privileges, you won’t be able to run Windows Defender. In order to fix this, you will need to contact your system administrator and ask for permission to run Windows Defender. Or if you have administrator credentials, just use them and sign in with the Administrator account.
Disable/Uninstall Third-party Security Program
If you have a third-party security program installed, it could be interfering with Windows Defender. To fix this, you will need to disable or uninstall the program.
Here is how to uninstall a third-party security program:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on “Uninstall a program” or “Add/Remove Programs“.
- Find the security program in the list and click “Uninstall“.
- Follow the prompts to uninstall the program.
- Restart your computer.
Restart Windows Defender Service
If the Windows Defender Service is stopped or disabled, Windows Defender will not be able to run. To fix this, you will need to open the services console and start the Windows Defender Service.
Here is how to start the Windows Defender Service:
- Open the Start menu and type “services.msc” into the search bar and click on its icon to launch.
- Find the “Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service” in the list and double-click on it to open its properties.
- In the “Startup type” dropdown menu, select “Automatic“.
- Click on the “Start” button to start the service.
- Click on “OK” to save the changes.
- Restart your computer.
Run an SFC Scan
If there is a problem with the registry key for Windows Defender, you can try to fix it by running an SFC scan. This will replace any corrupted files with new ones.
SFC scan is a command-line tool that scans your system for any errors and glitches and automatically repair them.
Here are the steps for that.
- From the Windows search bar, search and launch the Command Prompt with administrator rights.
- Type this command and hit the Enter key: sfc/scannow.
- The scanning would start, and it would take some time to complete depending on your system configuration.
- After the scan, if it found any problem, the solution would be automatically applied.
- Close the Command Prompt window and restart your system.
Perform a Clean Boot
If you are still having problems, you can try to perform a clean boot. This will start your computer with only the essential programs and services.
To perform a clean boot:
- Open the Start menu and type “msconfig” into the search bar and click on the System Configuration icon to launch.
- Click on the “Services” tab and check the “Hide all Microsoft services” checkbox.
- Next, click on the “Disable all” button.
- Finally, select the “OK” button and restart your computer.
How to keep your System safe from Malware?
Despite your best efforts, there is always a chance that your computer could get infected with malware.
Here are a few things you can do to protect your computer:
- Install an antivirus program and keep it up-to-date.
- Avoid clicking on links in email messages or on websites unless you are sure they are safe.
- Do not download or install programs from websites unless you are sure they are safe.
- Keep your operating system and software up-to-date with the latest security patches.
- If you think your computer has been infected with malware, you can run a virus scan using your antivirus program.
If you are having problems with the start actions not working, there are a few things you can do to fix it. You can try signing in with your administrator account, disabling or uninstalling any third-party security programs, restarting the Windows Defender Service, running an SFC scan, or performing a clean boot. Hopefully one of these solutions will work for you!
If you have any other questions, feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks for reading!
If you want to enable Windows Defender, you will need to open the Control Panel and go to “Security and Maintenance”. Then, click on “Security” and then “Windows Defender”. Finally, click on the “Turn On” button.
If you are having problems with turning on Windows Defender, it could be because you don’t have administrator privileges. In order to fix this, you will need to contact your system administrator and ask for permission to run Windows Defender.
Windows Defender may not update for a variety of reasons, such as network issues, Windows Defender services being unavailable, corrupted system files, a Windows update issue, and so on. Depending on the error message you received, try to solve it yourself. Look online for solutions to the problem you’re having.
Peter is an Electrical Engineer whose primary interest is tinkering with his computer. He is passionate about Windows 10 Platform and enjoys writing tips and tutorials about it.