Welcome to our series of Microsoft Windows 10 tutorials that help you understand the features of the upcoming Windows 10.
In this tutorial you will learn how to Pin to Start and Unpin from Start items like an app, folder, drive or a file in Windows 10.
Windows 10 gives you an option to pin any app, folders, drives, executable files, contacts from People app, homegroup, library or network to Start menu so that you can access them quickly and conveniently.
If you have pinned any modern app to Start menu then you can also see updates from that app on live tiles.
Note: You can only Pin to Start .exe files.
How to Pin to Start from File Explorer:
- While in File Explorer, right click on an item (drive, folder or a file) that you want to pin to Start menu, and click on Pin to Start.
How to Pin to Start and Unpin from Start a setting from Settings app:
- Open Settings, and click on one of the setting like Display that you want to Pin to or Unpin from Start.
- Click on the Pin or Unpin button under the title bar to Pin or Unpin that setting to Start. (see screenshot below)
How to Pin to Start from Start Menu:
- To Pin to Start using Context Menu, open Start menu and right click on an app like Paint on the left side, and click on Pin to Start. (see screenshot below)
- You can also Pin to Start by dragging an app from the left and dropping it on right side to Pin to Start. (see screenshots above)
How to Unpin from Start from Start Menu:
- Open Start menu and from the right side right click on any pinned item like Paint that you want to unpin. Now click on Unpin from Start. (see screenshot below)