Welcome to our series of Microsoft Windows 10 tutorials that help you understand the features of this new operating system by Microsoft.
This tutorial will show you how to use Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) in Windows 10.
The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove malicious software from your computers.
Microsoft regularly updates MSRT through Windows Updates every month. You can only use MSRT to remove some prevalent active (software running in background) malicious software and hence it should not be mistaken for a substitute for an antivirus software.
We strongly recommend that you have an antivirus installed in your system.
MSRT runs in quiet mode unless it finds an infection. If you have not been notified of an infection, no malicious software has been found that needs your attention. You can perform three type of scans using MSRT:
- Quick scan: scan areas of the system which are most likely to contain malicious software.
- Full scan: scan entire system. This may take several hours depending on the size of data in your system.
- Customized scan: This will run a quick scan first, and then will scan the folder or drive you have selected.
How to Use Malicious Software Removal Tool:
- Type mrt in Cortana search bar or and press enter.
- Click Yes if prompted by UAC.
- Click Next in MSRT window to proceed.
- To run a scan, click on radio button next to the type of scan you want to perform. Click Next button to start the scan.
- If you choose Customized scan, click on Choose Folder button to choose a folder or a drive to scan. Click Next button to start the scan.
- When the scan finishes, you will see the results.