In the current global pandemic days, most of the professionals are working from home, attending meetings, and giving presentations through video conferencing. Students are also forced to stay at home and attend lectures through online video calls.
Suppose you are using your Windows 10 laptops or desktops system for attending video calls. In that case, the webcam needs to be of high quality so that the other persons in the video meeting can see and interact with you appropriately. Though there is an option of attending video meets using phones too, for presentations and tutorials, computer systems are a must.
Since the frequency of video calls has surged and not going down anytime soon, people are looking for a decent webcam for their computers. However, if you have an android phone with an average camera, you don’t require to buy an external webcam. Your phone is sufficient and, in fact, a better alternative to a webcam.
In this guide, we would walk through some ways to know how to use an android phone as a webcam and convert an android phone into your home security camera.
Why the demand for Webcam increased?
Webcams are the medium to attend video calls, conferences, or lectures. There could be many reasons for the sudden surge in the webcam demand. Here are the most plausible of those:
- Most average priced laptops don’t come with a decent webcam. You won’t get the clarity that you want in the laptop’s built-in camera.
- The web camera of some laptops may have stopped working because of some external damage.
- The external webcam of the desktop might have broken down.
How to use Android phone as Webcam on Windows 10?
Now without any further delay, let us list down the ways to convert an Android phone into a webcam.
Use Android Phone as a Webcam using DroidCam
DroidCam is an Android application that easily lets you turn your Android phone into a webcam. Here are the steps to quickly set up the app on an Android phone and connect it with Windows 10.
Download the official DroidCam app from the Google Playstore. Make sure that your device is running on Android version 5.0 or above.
On your Windows 10 PC, download the DroidCam client, which would create a bridge between your PC and smartphone. Double click on its installer and follow the onscreen instructions to install it completely.
Launch the application on your phone and, at the same time, open the desktop client too. Ensure that both your devices are on the same WiFi network.
From the DroidCam Android app, note down the WiFi IP and DroidCam Port.
Enter the above-gathered details in the DroidCam’s desktop client and click Start.
This will initiate the connection, and you would see the phone’s camera feed on the DroidCam’s desktop port.
That’s it. Both of your devices are now connected, and your Android phone is ready to be used as a webcam. If you are having trouble connecting through WiFi, you can also try connecting through a USB cable. Now we will discuss how to use the DroidCam webcam on Skype and Zoom.
How to use DroidCam Webcam on Skype?
- Launch the Skype application and head to settings.
- Switch to the Audio & Video tab and select the DroidCam Source from the drop-down menu.
How to use DoidCam WebCam on Zoom?
- Open the Zoom app and click on the Settings icon.
- Switch to the Video tab and from the drop-down menu, select the DroidCam Source.
Similarly, you can configure the other video conferencing apps settings to use DroidCam as a webcam. An important point to note is you won’t be able to use the DroidCam or any other external webcam on the Microsoft Store’s applications. Ensure that Skype, Zoom, or any other application you use are not installed from the Microsoft Store.
How to use an Android phone as a security camera?
If you have a spare Android phone, you can turn it into your home vigilance. Instead of spending much more on CCTV cams, you can simply convert your old Android phone into a security camera using the IP Webcam Android application. If you have a spare Android phone, you can turn it into your home vigilance. Instead of spending much more on CCTV cams, you can simply convert your old Android phone into a security camera using the IP Webcam Android application.
Here is how to do that:
- On your Android phone, install the IP Webcam app from the Google Playstore.
- Before moving further, close all other camera applications on the phone.
- Now launch the application, scroll to the bottom, and click on the Start server.
- The application would now launch the phone’s camera and display the URLs for the connection.
- Type any of the URLs on your computer’s browser. Before that, ensure that both your computer and phone are connected with the same WiFi network.
- Ignore the security warnings and continue to the URL
- The browser would launch the IP Webcam interface webpage. Next to the Video renderer, select Browser.
- You will see your Android phone’s camera feed.
You have successfully connected the Android phone’s camera with the desktop using the IP Webcam app. Now coming to the features of the application that would help you to enhance your home security. First, fit the phone at the appropriate place for video surveillance.
Features of IP Webcam Browser Client
- Similar to video renderer, select the best suited Audio player.
- There is an option of Two-way audio too.
- You can record the video, set the video recording length, and take photos.
- The Zoom feature lets you Zoom in and out in realtime during surveillance.
- Crop option lets you crop the video screen horizontally or vertically for a better focus.
- The Stream Quality lets you set the quality of the rendering video.
- Miscellaneous settings let you configure the Auto Focus, LED Flashlight, Overlay, and Night Vision.
- Next, clicking on Front Camera would switch the camera view from back to the front camera.
- You can also enable/disable Motion Detection and its sensitivity.
- You can also change the viewing method, such as using the VLC media player and more. The viewing method can be changed from the top Menu.
Your tiny Android phone can do wonders, and today you might have learned its another unique usability. Use the methods explained in this guide and convert your Android phone into a video calling webcam or the security vigilance camera without spending even a single extra penny.
Peter is an Electrical Engineer whose primary interest is tinkering with his computer. He is passionate about Windows 10 Platform and enjoys writing tips and tutorials about it.