It is hard to determine whether the Wi-Fi connection you are on is suitable to your needs just by seeing how web pages load. When it comes to online gaming, VoIP, and Media Streaming, you need a strong stable connection to keep the streams seamless.
Some Wi-Fi connections may mislead you with the speed details in order for you to join them. You should be keen on the speeds of the network as you connect so as to avoid interruptions during streaming.
A common misconception about the speed of a Wi-Fi connection is that the peak speed it reaches is the speed of the connection.
Methods to Test WiFi Strength on Windows 10
The true speed of the Wi-Fi connection is the average speed it maintains after streaming data for about a minute or so.
It may be difficult for an individual to mark all the changes in speed per minute. This can be done using tools that have been specifically made for testing the speed of internet connections.
Here are a few methods you can use to test your Wi-Fi Speed on Windows 10:
Method 1: Using SpeedTest
SpeedTest is a web-based service that allows users to test their Wi-Fi speed free of charge. The service is the most popular speed test service all over the globe.
How to Use SpeedTest?
You do not have to worry about any technicalities while using SpeedTest. The software just requires you to have an internet connection:
- Open your browser and type in speedtest.net
- Click on go and wait for the page to load.
- After the page loads, just click on “Begin Test” and it should show your results after the test is done.
NOTE: You may need to test the speed a few times in order for you to get the most accurate values. You can test the speed five times and find its average speed.
Advantages of Using SpeedTest
- SpeedTest is really easy to use. The software just requires a person to visit the site and start the download, unlike most of the other speed testing services that require users to have an account or visit advertiser pages.
- The service is free of charge. As everybody knows, there is no better thing than a free service that is worth more than what you can spend. SpeedTest offers its users a free service worldwide, making it the best option for someone to go for.
Drawbacks of SpeedTest
- As you may have noticed on your visit, the site is bulky and full of advertisements. The website consumes much data during loading, making it unsuitable for people on broadband.
This is negligible, however, since most people test their speed on unmetered networks.
Method 2: Checking Connection in Network Settings
- Right click on the Wi-Fi icon on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Select “open network and sharing center”. This will open a new window showing the number of connections you have together with other settings and options.
- Click on the network that you want to monitor. This takes you to the window that shows you all the details about the current connection.
- The connection speed is going to be indicated on the 6th line of the window. You should take not that this is the Wi-Fi connection speed and not the internet speed.
Obtaining Internet Speed-
- If you want to obtain the internet speed, you first need to start a hefty download from a stable server. You can even update your antivirus.
The idea is to keep the connection at its peak speeds as you record them.
- Go back to the ‘Wi-Fi status window and take screenshots of the window with a 10-second interval.
- Subtract the two values under ‘bytes’.
- This should be the data transferred within 10 seconds.
- To remain with the value for one second, just divide it by 10 or move the decimal back by one digit.
- This should be the data transferred in one second, which is the speed of your internet connection.
- The same applies for uploads too. Just upload something big like a Facebook video. That will ensure that the speed will be at its peak for more than 10 seconds.
- Repeat the same method from step 6 and record your data. This should be your upload speed, which is usually lower than the download speeds.
NOTE: This is the speed of the internet connection in bytes per second. In order for you to get the speed of the connection in kb/s, you need to divide the result by 1000 or moving the decimal point three digits back.
Advantages of Using this Method
- You get to measure your download and upload speeds according to your own data. You do not need to rely on hosts from far away who lower the ping intervals of the connection.
The Drawback of this Method
- This method requires much knowledge on Windows 10 as well as… MATHS. According to research, a great number of people hate math and always try to find alternatives for these calculations.
If you are tech savvy and you are up for the challenge, give this method a try. It may give you an upper hand if one day (very unlikely), the SpeedTest servers crash.
Method 3: Using NetSpeedMonitor
NetSpeedMonitor is a free tool that monitors your internet connection. The program records the progress of the connection, giving you detailed accounts of the status and history.
The program is compact and won’t take more than a few seconds to install. Here is how you can use it to monitor your connection:
- Download the software from the internet. To save you time, here is a link to the software:
- Install the software on your PC. You may get the pop-up message warning you about compatibility issues.
If so, just right-click on the software and select ‘properties’. Go to compatibility and select ‘run this program in compatibility mode for previous versions of Windows’.
- Restart your PC and check the readings on the taskbar. You should see the upload speed and download speeds, as well as the total data, transferred.
Advantages of Using NetSpeedMonitor Program
- You get readings in real time. The readings are displayed according to the exact time that the transfer takes place.
- Compact program: The program is so small that it takes only a few seconds to download and install.
- It doesn’t affect performance: Due to its compact nature and low CPU usage, the program doesn’t affect the performance of Windows 10 on your PC.
The Drawback of NetSpeedMonitor Program
- The program has compatibility issues with Windows 10, in some cases, it DOESN’T EVEN START.