Welcome to our series of Microsoft Windows 10 tutorials that help you understand the features of this new operating system by Microsoft.
This tutorial will show you how to synchronize the time with Internet time server in Windows 10.
You use date and time not just to keep track of the time, most applications in computer also make use of the system’s date and time in order to function properly. If you have selected correct time zone and the time on system is still not correct, you can synchronize it with an Internet time server to have accurate time.
By default Windows 10 will synchronize the time once a week when it’s connected to Internet.
How to Synchronize Time With Internet Time Server:
- Open Control Panel.
- Now, click on the “Clock and Region” option.
- Click on the “Date and Time” option.
- Select the ‘Internet’ tab from top.
- Then, click “Change Settings” at the bottom
- Allow if prompted by UAC.
- Check the box next to “Synchronize with an Internet time server.”
- Select the server from the drop down list and click “Update now” button.
- Click OK to finish.
Adding new time servers using the Registry
If you want to use new time servers other than already available ones, you can add them using the Registry.
- Hit “Win key+R” to open the Run command.
- Open the Registry Editor by typing regedit.
- Or, search Registry Editor in the search box.
- Navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers
- Right-click in the right frame and choose New->String Value
- Give this an appropriate number.
- Double-click on the new string and type the address of the Network Time Protocol (NTP) server. Here Google NTP is used as an example.
- Click OK
It is essential to keep the time on your Windows computer in sync with the internet time. Otherwise, some of your apps can perform abruptly. It is also called the atomic clock synchronization. We hope this guide would help you to set the correct time server on your computer. If you still have any doubts or find this guide helpful, feel free to comment down below.