Microsoft is regularly introducing new technologies to make your system more secure and easy to use. As a part of it, Windows 10 contains a lot of cool features that are both fancy and also equally essential for device safety.
If you are one of those who cannot remember tricky passwords, Windows 10 has a Picture Password feature just for you so that you do not compromise on the security of your PC and log in to your system safely.
Microsoft has provided a lot of options for signing in Windows 10 like Alphanumeric password, PIN, biometrics such as face recognition, and fingerprint scanner. Picture Password is one of those. It is the alternative to typing passwords.
Let us discuss what Picture Password is and how to set it up in Windows 10.
What is the Windows 10 Picture password?
Picture Password is one of the many ways to set a security check before login into Windows 10 systems. It is quite similar to Android’s pattern lock. In this, you have to choose an image and the gestures to set it up. The best part is that even though it is touch-friendly, you are not limited to gestures on the touch screen; you can even use a mouse to draw the gestures.
The picture password is not the extra layer of protection. It is just a more comfortable and quicker alternative to regular sign-in methods.
You can choose your favorite image or any picture you like, and then you would be given an option to create three gestures. The gesture can be any combination of circles, straight lines, and taps.
How to setup Picture Password?
Here are the steps to create a Picture Password on the Windows 10 system.
- The first step is to connect your Microsoft account to your PC
- Open Settings, and click on the Accounts icon
- Now select the Sign-in options.
- Under Sign-in options choose Picture Password
- Under Picture Password option click on Add button.
- Enter your Microsoft account password when prompted.
- From left use Select picture to browse and pick an image to use for password
- Once you have selected the image, draw three different gestures on the image and repeat them at the exact same spot on the image to save your gesture pattern.
Tips for Creating Strong Picture Password
A Picture Password is undoubtedly a lot more secure than the traditional alphanumeric password or the PIN. No hacker can apply the brute force to crack the picture password. However, it does not mean that it cannot be cracked at all.
If you are using the Picture Password on the touch screen, then because of the oily fingers, the gestures can be easily traced. To protect your screen from unwanted finger imprints, use these methods.
Follow these tips to create a strong Picture Password so that cybercriminals cannot crack it easily.
- Choose a unique image where gestures can be made and remembered easily.
- Use different gestures instead of just tapping. Like circle, cross, and others.
- You can also create gestures like the pattern lock on your phone.
- Touch-screen device users must make sure to clean their screen after applying the pattern.
- Don’t keep the same gesture pattern for long. Keep changing it frequently for more security.
This was all about the Picture Passwords. You might have understood that it is an excellent substitute for passwords and PINs. You don’t have to bear the burden of remembering at least one of your passwords. However, as already mentioned, no matter how strong the Picture Password is, it can be decoded by a clever person, if traces are left on the touch screen. So make sure to wipe the screen after applying the gestures.
To unlock your Windows 10 device without a keyboard, you can either go for biometrics such as facial recognition or fingerprint scanning or choose to create a Picture Password.
Picture Password is more secure than the traditional password or PIN because the software used by cybercriminals can only crack the alphanumeric password. However, it does not make the Picture Password uncrackable. With the advancement in technology, no security measure is 100% secure.