Remote desktop is a Windows feature that allows you to use your computer remotely from another PC. Since most people own Desktops at homes, it may be difficult to travel with the PC when you are needed somewhere else.
To fix various Windows 10 problems, we recommend Outbyte PC Repair:
This software will repair common computer errors, protect you from file loss, malware damage, hardware failure, and optimise your computer for peak performance. In three simple steps, you can resolve PC issues and remove virus damage:
- Download Outbyte PC Repair Software
- Click Start Scan to detect Windows 10 issues that may be causing PC issues.
- Click Repair All to fix issues with your computer's security and performance.
This month, Outbyte has been downloaded by 26,078 readers.
The remote desktop feature allows you to access everything on your PC from anywhere you are. You, however, have to configure both computers in order for this to work.
Prepare your PC for Remote Desktop Connection
- Click on start and go to file explorer. Here, you are checking on your computer name so that you can use it to connect to other devices.
- While on file explorer, right click on “This PC” and select properties. Your computer name is located on the window that pops up.
- What you are looking for is the “full computer name” and not “computer name”. This is the only one that remains constant even when you change your computer name.
- Write down the full computer name.
- After you are through with getting the name, click on the remote settings option on the left side of the window.
- Check “Allow remote connections to this computer”.
- Save and close
- Your computer is now ready for a remote connection, all that is left is to connect to this computer from another device.
Connecting Windows PC
- You can connect to the remote desktop by using the Pre-Installed Remote Desktop Manager in Windows 10. Just search “Remote Desktop Connection” in the search bar of the start menu.
- Select it from the result and wait for it to load for like a second.
- Enter the full name of the remote desktop and hit enter. You should be connected to the remote desktop in no time.
- Search for “windows remote desktop” or “RD client” on your app store.
- Download the app and run it while connected to the internet. You should have a computer connected to the internet too.
- Click on the “Add” button on the top right corner of the screen
- Enter your computer name or IP address
- A new window asking for your account details will appear. Enter your credentials and hit enter.
- Your computer will automatically connect remotely. You can access your desktop the same way you could as if it was there.
Advantages of Using the Windows Remote Desktop Software
- It is compatible with all Windows devices. Forget about the compatibility issues you face when you use third-party software. The Windows remote service works perfectly in all of the Windows devices.
- It is available on all the platforms. Once you have set up remote desktop on your Windows 10 PC you can connect to it on any platform there is.
The software is available on all of the mobile phone platforms, unlike competitors who keep everything for themselves (not saying any names).
- Great performance. Since it is an inbuilt software in Windows 10, the performance is fairly better than any other remote desktop software. You get to enjoy the software at significantly great speeds.
The only downside to the Windows Remote Desktop software that you are going to face is the unavailability of specialized features. If you are used to the features provided by other software developers, you may have a hard time switching to this.
Alternative for the Windows Remote Desktop Software
Since there may be a feature you were looking for in the Windows Remote Desktop Software but isn’t available, you may consider the alternatives. There are some software programs that you can use instead of the Windows Remote Desktop Software for more features.
There is no better alternative to the Windows Remote Desktop Software than TeamViewer. TeamViewer is a cross-platform software that can be used to access your computer remotely alternatively when Remote Desktop is not cutting it.
How to Configure TeamViewer?
Since this is third-party software, you should find most of the heavy lifting is done for you. Here is how you can go about it:
- First of all, you need to download the software from their site:
- Run the setup file after it has finished downloading.
- A window will pop up showing you a list of options you can select from. Click on “Installation to access this computer remotely (unattended)”. This is under “How do you want to proceed?”.
- For the next option, just select whatever suits you best. This is just some personalization to make your experience with TeamViewer outstanding.
- If you are operating a company and want to use TeamViewer commercially, then select the commercial option.
- If you just want to use it with friends and family, select Personal / Non-commercial use.
- That’s all there is to the setup. Click on Accept-Finish to start the installation.
- After the installation is complete, you will be taken through a setup wizard to configure TeamViewer.
- Start the program and create a remote account. You need to enter the computer name you desire followed by the password.
- You will also be required to create a TeamViewer account. Click on next and enter your credentials.
- Click on Finish and let the software reboot by itself.
- All you need now is a second device to test the connection. The software is available on all major platforms. Just search for TeamViewer on the app store and download it.
- From there, all you have to do is enter your TeamViewer account and connect to your desktop. Easy as… pie!
Advantages of Using TeamViewer
- It has an easy configuration. From installation to connection, TeamViewer is easy to configure. Every setting is found in one place, therefore, newbies won’t have a difficult time configuring it.
- Offers a variety of features. TeamViewer offers some great features you ought to check out. One of the amazing features it has is the computer name change. This allows you to use the easiest computer name you can remember, unlike Windows which only allows you to use the name assigned to it.
The only problem you might come upon while using TeamViewer is CPU usage. It uses more CPU than Microsoft’s software, making it kind of a burden to the PC. However, the usage is negligible if you have a high-end PC.
You also have to spend some cash to activate the software, which sucks when you are broke.