Windows 10 is a completely reliable platform and can run properly without any exception. Regular updates for the OS are propagated consistently, to keep-up good aspects in terms of security and user experience.
Hence as a smart user, you might probably install all the available updates to your PC; in order to exploit the new features. Unluckily, troubles while installing those upgrades are very much prone.
Default Rectification for Windows 10 Update Issues
Keeping this in mind, Microsoft has provided a special tool, called the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It is specifically deployed for fixing this kind of Windows 10 update issues.
However, there is one error in the Windows 10, which even the Troubleshooter is unable to fix. Well, it’s the “Service registration is missing or corrupt” error. So, let’s see how to fix it manually.
There are various methods that can potentially work as a resolution. You can try them one by one, to arrive at the one that works for you.
How to Fix Service Registration is Missing or Corrupt in Windows 10?
Method 1: Run sfc/scannow Command
The error can be caused by corrupted system files, so use Command Prompt (Admin) to scan your PC. To do this, follow these steps.
- Get into the Command Prompt with Administrative privileges, by pressing Windows + X Keys and choosing Command Prompt (Admin).
- After the Command window opens, type the “sfc/scannow” command on it and press enter.
- Wait for a while until the process gets completed. After that, check if the issues are resolved.
Method 2: Start Windows Update Related Services
Making sure that the Windows Update related services are running properly without any problem; can also serve as an effective solution for the Windows 10 update issues of this kind.
If the services don't run properly and are stopped, unfortunately, then follow these steps to have them up and running.
- Press “Window + R” key combination to open the Run dialog box. Enter “services.msc” in the box and click “OK”. This opens the “Services”
- Here, search for “Windows update” service option and double click it, to open the “Windows Update Properties”
- Followed by this, change the “Startup type” option as “Automatic” and then click “Apply”
- After this, below the Startup type menu, you’ll see the “Service Status” Check whether the service status is running, if not click “Start” button to start the service. Then, click “OK” to finish the process.
That’s it! Repeat the same steps for Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Cryptographic service. Now, install the Windows update again, if the error still persists, move on to the next method.
Method 3: Registry Level Troubleshooting
For this issue, you may suppose to remove certain values from the Registry. Keep in mind, while removing these values from the registry, certain issues may set off in your operating system.
So, before trying out this method you’ll have to take a backup of your registry. Let’s go to the steps for it.
- Press “Window + R” key and enter “regedit” in the Run dialog box and click “OK”.
- Now the Registry editor will be opened. Now, get to this directory in the left pane of the window (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\WindowsSelfHost\\Applicability).
- Here, select the “ThresholdOptedIn” value in the right pane and delete it.
Method 4: Use Command Prompt
Just like the Method-1, get into the Command prompt (Admin) and type the following command, one by one and hit “Enter”.
That’s it, check whether the issues dig up.
Method 5: Create a New User Account
Creating a new user account can also help to get rid of this problem.
- For this, get to the “Settings app” and click the “Account” option.
- Further, click “Family & other users” in the left pane. Below this, you can find the “+ tag” to add someone else to this PC, click it.
- The new window, click “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information” option and click “Next”.
- Again, a new window will be opened, where you’ll have to choose the option “Add a user without a Microsoft account”.
- Enter the name and password details here and create a new account.
- Now, login to the new account and check whether the issues are fixed. If it is, then move all your private files to the new account.
Method 6: Clear and Reset Windows Store Cache
If you’re facing problems, while updating the Windows Store apps, then reset the Windows Store Cache, using the “WSReset” command. This utility will fix your problem with the Windows Store.
In some cases, even this might fix the issue; don’t hesitate to try this. For this, open the “Run” dialogue box (Win + R) and type “wsreset.exe” and click “Ok”. Wait for while until the process gets completed.
Method 7: Disable Update Services in Windows 10
From the Command Prompt (Admin) stop the Windows Update Service by typing the “stop wuauserv”. Then, type “wuauclt /detectnow” for troubleshooting the PC and for downloading the necessary updates.
This can also rectify the said Windows 10 update issues. But, have this method as a temporary solution.
Method 8: Re-enable the Windows Firewall Service
If you’ve disabled the Windows Firewall, then you should have to re-enable it, to fix this problem. For this, follow the first step, said in the Method-2, and double click on the “Windows Firewall” option.
As usual, check whether the “Start type” is set to Automatic. Then click the “Stop” button under the Service status section. Then, again click the “Start” button to restart it.
That’s it! Click OK to save the changes.
Method 9: Disable Antivirus Software
In some cases, even the third-party antivirus programs can cause this issue. Particularly the McAfee antivirus is known for corrupting the files.
Turn them off temporarily and check if the issue persists. If it resolves the problem, re-enable the antivirus software again.
Method 10: Check the Registry Value
Follow the first step from the Method-3 to start Registry Editor. Then navigate to this path in the left pane -
Now, you can find the EditionID and ProductName in the right pane of the Window. Make sure that the editionID and Productname are same as the version of the Window 10 PC that you’re using now.
If you emphasize on the message “Service registration is missing or corrupted” in your PC; then it clearly indicates that all your files and data might get corrupted. So, without any further ado, you can just try these methods to fix the issue. Hope, the methods will help you to fix the error.