Pop up ads are really annoying. If your browser opens up a wrong website every now and then your PC may be infected with adware. Although Windows 10 has many shiny features, it’s vulnerable to this kind of pop up viruses.
And Windows Defender cannot remove and let along even detect them. So, what can you really do?
If you don’t have a powerful antivirus, then you could try manual work. It’ll take some time, but it will work. So, let’s take a look at some of the hacks you could try to remove this nonsense for good.
Some Tips to Make your Windows 10 Adware Free
1. Safe Mode with Networking Support
If some adware is giving you a lot of trouble, then you can boot into the Safe Mode With Networking Support. This way you can safely start your computer with only fewer necessary software’s and get rid of the Adware.
For that follow this instruction:
- Press the Windows Key + X And after that select Shut down or sign Out and then select Restart.
- After the PC boots to the login screen, you have to hold down the Shift Key while clicking on the power icon.
- Then click the Troubleshoot >> Advanced Options >> Startup Settings >> Restart.
- You’ll see the boot options coming on the screen. Press f5 or 5 to select Safe Mode with Networking.
- After that, your PC would start in a Safe mode, and then you can go to the Control Panel and uninstall any unwanted tools.
2. Get Rid of Rough Add-ons
The adware’s are often disguising itself as an add-on on your browser. So, you need to check for any unwanted add-ons and delete them.
- In Chrome go to the Chrome menu. It should be located at the top right corner marked as a three horizontal line. And then select the More tools and then Extensions. Look for any new add-ons that look unfamiliar and delete them.
- In Internet Explorer Click tools >> Manage add-ons>>All add-ons. It will let you see all the add-ons installed in the browser. Look for unwanted add-ons and Disable them.
- In Firefox open the Setting menu and then select Add-ons and after that Extensions. Do the same thing here. Disable any unwanted add-ons.
3. Check all the Defaults of your Browser
Sometimes the adware seems to hijack the browser’s default settings. So you have to restore them back.
- In Chrome go to Settings and then go to On startup section. If you see any link to any unknown page then select that site and press the X to delete it.
- After that go to Settings again and then On startup section. Then select Open the New Tab Page.
- In Internet Explorer go to Tools>>Manage Add-ons>>Search Providers. Look for any unusual site and then click it and remove it.
- If in the Home Page tab you see a different default browser then delete it and select Use new tab.
- In Firefox select Options.
- Then click on Home and choose Firefox Home (Default) in both Homepage and new windows then on the New tabs also.
- And then go to the Search tab and make sure you have selected a reputed search engine in the Default Search Engine section.
4. Check what Programs Start Automatically
There could be some unwanted program that could be set to start automatically. So you have to disable them to get rid of the adware.
- For that Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc, it will open Task Manager, then click the Startup tab. Select the unwanted suspicious applications and click on the Disable button.
5. Install MalwareFox Antimalware
If you are still unable to remove the adware then just download MalwareFox Anti-Malware. This one is my personal favorite as it finds and removes all the adware hiding in your PC.
There’s a free version available for download. You can also buy it for the full package. But it truly saves the day and gets rid of all those nasty adware and pop up ads.
So, if adware’s have infested your computer you have two options delete them manually or use a third-party tool. I would recommend using MalwareFox Anti-Malware as you might not get all the adware files manually. And this software will just save your time and your PC.