Most mid-range laptops are good in performance and other specs but lack majorly in one crucial aspect that is Loudness. With the absence of external speakers, the users are often disappointed with the device’s volume, especially while watching a movie or listening to songs in a group.
However, if you are a Windows 10 user, you need not worry anymore. With some tweaks in the Windows 10 settings and with the help of some third-party programs, the volume of the laptop can be increased significantly.
In this guide, we would walk through some ways to learn how to increase volume on Windows 10 beyond the maximum.
Check the Volume Level of Each Application
Before moving further, check for the basics and ensure that the current system volume is set to maximum. For that, check the Volume Mixer.
- Look for the volume icon on the right side of the taskbar and right-click on it.
- Choose Open Volume Mixer.
- Ensure that all your running apps are set to the maximum volume level.
Adjust Communications Settings
If you experience a dip in the volume while communicating with someone, you must adjust the communication settings.
- On the windows search bar, search, and open Control Panel.
- Go to Hardware and Sound
- Select Sound settings
- Under the Communications tab, click on Do nothing bullet point.
- Click Apply and OK.
Use VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is one of the most popular freeware players and can be found in almost every Windows 10 system. Its volume is by default set to 125%; that is, it is already 25% louder than usual.
However, by going deep into its settings, you can increase maximum volume level up to 300%.
Here is how you can do that.
- Open VLC Media Player and head to Tools -> Preferences.
- Select the All radio button at the bottom left of this open Window
- Enter “Qt” in the search bar and click Qt to further open Qt interface settings.
- Now enter ‘300’ in the Maximum Volume Displayed text box.
- Press the Save button to apply these settings
- Restart the VLC Media Player
Try Changing Sound Format
The wrong sound format can also be a reason for the low volume on Windows 10 or 11. To increase the volume on Windows 10 beyond maximum, you can try changing the default sound format of your system.
- Navigate to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound.
- Click on Sound settings.
- Under the Playback tab, double-click on your headphones option to open the settings.
- Go to the Advanced tab, and from the drop-down menu, select the sound format that fits your headphones. You can test it by clicking on the Test option.
Check the App Volume
Sometimes the volume of the app you are using to play sound may not be full. So, make sure to fix that. For example, if you are playing any YouTube video, ensure that the volume level on its interface is maximum.
Get an Audio Booster to Increase Volume on Windows 10
If you are still struggling with the volume level on Windows 10, it is recommended to get a robust third-party volume booster. These volume boosters are straightforward in working and best for beginners. Just make sure to get the software with good reviews because some underdeveloped applications can damage the device’s internal speakers.
Add a Volume Booster Extension to Chrome
For Google Chrome users, there is an additional option to increase loudness. A volume booster extension is available, which claims to increase the volume by four times the original level.
For installing this extension, visit this page. You will get the option to add the extension. After adding it, you can just press the Volume Booster button on the chrome toolbar to adjust the volume. You have the option of turning off the booster too.
Update Audio Driver
If the audio driver is outdated, the sound may be distorted and the volume level can lower down. To fix that, you need to update your system’s audio driver. You can update the drivers both manually or using any Driver Updater software.
This is how you can do that manually:
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select Device Manager.
- Under Audio inputs and outputs, right-click on Speaker/Headphone and choose Update driver.
- If you have the latest version of Audio drivers downloaded on your system, select Browse my computer for drivers; otherwise, choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If any update is found, install it.
Though it isn’t hard to update drivers using this way, it is still better to get a Driver Updater program so that your system’s driver gets automatically updated whenever required.
A loud volume is a must while listening to music or watching a movie with a group. The techniques provided in this guide would surely increase volume on Windows 10 and 11 systems. Or else the best option is to get the genuine volume booster.
To improve the sound quality on your laptop, you can edit some settings on Windows 10 explained in this guide or get a volume and bass booster program.
A genuine Sound Booster would surely amplify the volume of your system. However, a faulty booster program can even damage the speakers of the device.
Peter is an Electrical Engineer whose primary interest is tinkering with his computer. He is passionate about Windows 10 Platform and enjoys writing tips and tutorials about it.