Windows 10 has effectively proven to be a reliable and solid platform. However, like with any bit of software, unexpected things do happen, here also. Likewise, one of the awful issues you can run over is a black screen on Windows 10 PC, with just the cursor on it. This can be a lot more disturbing than the blue screen issue because you don’t even get an error code or a message. Hence, you can’t even have a thought of where to start troubleshooting.
Why does this Black Screen on Windows 10 Occur?
A black screen can happen in various situations. It might be ranging from issues, like Corrupted graphics driver; a connection problem in your display; or simply due to any haphazard concerns. From varied instances, we’ve found that the issue can promptly be coming from the graphics card issues. Nowadays, PCs are getting increasingly progressed. They even come with multiple graphics cards, for heavy usage. In that note, if you are having a realistic graphics card other than the Intel Graphic controller, you are likely to run into this issue.
How to Fix Black Screen on Windows 10?
Method 1: Restart your PC
This is the simplest and easiest method, to get rid of this issue. You can do this, before trying out any of the other troubleshooting endeavours, explained next off. It can potentially waive off this black screen on Windows 10 right away. Simply turn-off your PC/laptop and start it back again. Now, if the issue still persists, get to the following methods.
Method 2: Remove your Battery
If you are using a portable PC or a laptop, then this trick is for you. Turn-off your system; take the battery out, and unplug your power adaptor. Now press and hold the power button for 10 seconds and set the battery back. Now turn it on and check if the issue is resolved.
Method 3: Just fix it blindly
This technique is all about fixing the issue blindly, as nothing is displayed on a black screen.
- Accordingly, if your Windows is stuck on the black screen, wait for a while until the mouse cursor appears. You can check its presence, by moving the mouse.
- Once the cursor has shown up on the screen, press the spacebar on your keyboard and press the Ctrl. Now, enter your login password naively. This might be a bit strange, as you’ll be typing on just a black screen.
- Now you would’ve logged into the Windows. If you can’t see the desktop in a few seconds after this and still wedged on the black screen, then press Win + P + down Arrow Key and once again enter your login details.
Method 4: Disable Onboard Graphics
Sometimes the onboard graphics drivers can also be the one that turns the screen black on. So, you can try disabling the onboard graphic, from the Device Manager. For this, go to the Safe Mode and do the following,
- Start your Device Manager and locate your onboard graphics card.
- You will see more than one graphics card under the Display Adaptor
- Just right-click on the onboard graphics and choose the Disable
- Finally, Restart your PC and check if the issue still persists.
Method 5: Update Graphics Driver
The issue can also be caused due to a faulty graphics driver. To fix the issue, you can try upgrading your graphics driver. For this;
- Press Win+R (Windows logo key and R key) and a Run dialog box will be opened. Type devmgmt.msc in the Open box and click Ok.
- Under the Display Adaptors, right-click on the Video Card and choose Update driver from the menu.
- Select the Search automatically for updated driver software Now, the Windows will introduce the new driver consequently.
All the aforementioned tricks are workable to resolve the Windows 10 black screen issue. We will update you if there are any newer solutions to fix this issue.