Windows 10 users may have noticed that the Snip and Sketch tool has stopped working. If you are one of these users, don’t worry – we have a solution for you!
Snip and sketch is a built-in screenshot tool on Windows 10, and it is a useful tool for taking screenshots of your desktop or specific windows. Due to some reasons, it might stop working and disrupt your work.
To fix various Windows 10 problems, we recommend Outbyte PC Repair:
This software will repair common computer errors, protect you from file loss, malware damage, hardware failure, and optimise your computer for peak performance. In three simple steps, you can resolve PC issues and remove virus damage:
- Download Outbyte PC Repair Software
- Click Start Scan to detect Windows 10 issues that may be causing PC issues.
- Click Repair All to fix issues with your computer's security and performance.
This month, Outbyte has been downloaded by 26,078 readers.
In this blog post, we will show you how to fix the Snip and Sketch tool in Windows 10.
Why Is Snip and Sketch Not Working?
There could be various reasons why Snip and Sketch is not working. Here are the most common ones:
- Corrupt system files: If some important system files are missing or corrupted, the Snip and Sketch tool might not work correctly.
- Outdated drivers: The graphics card driver needs to be up-to-date in order for the Snip and Sketch tool to work properly.
- Security software: Some security programs can prevent the Snip and Sketch tool from working.
- Incorrect date and time: The date and time settings on your computer must be correct for the Snip and Sketch tool to work.
- The application process is frozen: If the snipping tool process is frozen, it won’t be able to take screenshots.
How to Fix Snip and Sketch Not Working in Windows?
Here are some solutions you can try to fix the Snip and Sketch not working issue.
Reset the Snip and Sketch App
If the Snip and Sketch tool is not working, resetting it can work. To reset the Snip and Sketch app, follow these steps:
- Click on the Start button and select Settings from the menu.
- Go to Apps and switch to Apps & Features tab on the left pane.
- Look for Snip & Sketch and select it.
- Next, click on Advanced options.
- Finally, click on the Reset button to reset the app and see if that helps resolve the issue.
Enable Snip and Sketch Notifications
Notifications can be disabled for the Snip and Sketch app, which will make it unable to take screenshots.
Here is how to do that:
- Click on the Start menu and select Settings from the menu.
- Go to System and select Notifications & Actions from the left pane.
- Under the “Get notifications from these senders” heading, look for the “Snip & Sketch” and toggle button to make sure that notifications are enabled for it.
Run SFC Command
The System File Checker is a Windows utility that scans for corrupt system files and attempts to repair them. To run the SFC command, follow these steps:
- On your system, search and launch the Command Prompt with administrator rights.
- Type this command and hit the Enter key: sfc/scannow.
- The scanning would start, and it would take some time to complete depending on your system configuration.
- After the scan, if it found any problem, the solution would be automatically applied.
- Close the Command Prompt window and restart your system.
Run DISM Command
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool is a Windows utility that can be used to repair system files.
Here is how to run DISM command:
- Open Command Prompt with admin rights.
- Type the following command and press the enter key: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- The scan would take some time to finish.
- After the scan is completed, restart the device.
Update Graphics Driver
The graphics card driver must be up-to-date in order for the Snip and Sketch tool to work properly. To update the graphics driver, follow these steps:
Here is how to update the display drivers on Windows 10:
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select the Device Manager.
- Expand Display adapters, right-click on the graphic card driver, and choose Update.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to update it.
Perform a System Reset
If all else fails, you can reset your system to its default state. This will remove any changes you have made and restore the computer to its original settings.
To perform a system reset, follow these steps:
- Switch On your device, and during boot, press F11 to launch Windows Recovery Environment.
- From the given options, choose Troubleshoot.
- Next, select Reset this PC. You will start getting the same options mentioned in the previous method.
- Choose the preferred resetting method.
- Next, select how you want to re-install Windows 11. Either Locally or using Cloud.
- In the next window, you need to choose if you would like to remove just your files only from the Windows installer drive, or you need to clean the drive entirely. Chose any option as per your choice.
- Windows will take some time to get things ready.
- Finally, click on the Reset button to begin the resetting process
If Snip and Sketch is not working in Windows 10, you can use these solutions to fix the issue. Be sure to follow the steps carefully, and if you need any help, contact Microsoft support. With these solutions, you can get Snip and Sketch back up and running in no time.
Snip and Sketch is a built-in screenshot tool on Windows 10, and it is a useful tool for taking screenshots of your desktop or windows.
There could be various reasons why Snip and Sketch is not working, such as corrupt system files, outdated drivers, security software, incorrect date and time settings, or a frozen application process.
Peter is an Electrical Engineer whose primary interest is tinkering with his computer. He is passionate about Windows 10 Platform and enjoys writing tips and tutorials about it.