Many of us prefer using a PS4 controller (or an Xbox) on our Windows PC. The best way to connect the controller to your computer is with the help of DS4Windows software. Unfortunately, there have been reports that some users are having issues when trying to get their controllers up and running with the program. It is displaying errors such as “No Controllers Connected (Max 4)”, “DS4 not detecting controller”, or “DS4 driver not installing.”
Fortunately, there are a few steps you can try in order to resolve any potential issues you may be experiencing with DS4Windows.
To fix various Windows 10 problems, we recommend Outbyte PC Repair:
This software will repair common computer errors, protect you from file loss, malware damage, hardware failure, and optimise your computer for peak performance. In three simple steps, you can resolve PC issues and remove virus damage:
- Download Outbyte PC Repair Software
- Click Start Scan to detect Windows 10 issues that may be causing PC issues.
- Click Repair All to fix issues with your computer's security and performance.
This month, Outbyte has been downloaded by 26,078 readers.
In this article, we will discuss the best fixes to solve DS4Windows not working.
Fix 1: Update your DS4Windows
To resolve any connection issues with your DS4Windows, you can start by updating it. First, look for the DS4Updater in your DS4 Windows installation folder and run it to check for any new updates. If the update tool finds further updates, follow the on-screen instructions to download and install them on your computer.
Suppose the update tool doesn’t find any updates, indicating that you have installed the old version of DS4 Windows. Then, you should proceed to the next fix by uninstalling the current DS4 Windows and downloading the latest version.
Fix 2: Re-Installing DS4Windows
To get the latest version of DS4 Windows, go to the DS4 Windows New Releases website and download the app compatible with your operating system.
- Uninstall the old version of DS4 Windows and extract the downloaded zip file.
- Open the extracted folder and run DS4Windows.exe.
- You may be asked to install the .NET 5.0 Runtime if you have not already installed it.
- In the “Run desktop apps” section, select Download X64.
- When prompted to choose where to save the settings and files, select Appdata to ensure full access.
- Follow the instructions in the “Welcome to DS4Windows” guide to install the driver and complete the setup.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation process.
- If desired, you can install optional drivers for additional features. Once installation is complete, click Finished.
- To prevent connection issues from arising when your system recognizes two controllers, go to the Settings tab and select Hide DS4 Controller.
If you encounter any issues, kindly move on to the next solution.
Fix 3: Re-Enable your Controller
DS4 Windows will fail to detect your PS4 if your controller is disabled. To check if this is the culprit, you can go to Device Manager.
- Open Device Manager by right-clicking the Start menu and selecting it.
- Expand the Human Interface Devices list, find the HID-compliant game controller (or Bluetooth HID device for Bluetooth users),
- Right-click it, and select Enable device. If it’s already enabled, you can disable and re-enable it.
- Disconnect your controller and restart your PC.
- Make sure Steam is closed.
- Open DS4 Windows, and move to the Settings tab. Check if the Hide DS4 controller option is enabled. If it is, uncheck and recheck it.
- Try connecting your controller again. It should be detected and displayed in the Controller tab.
If re-enabling the controller doesn’t work, you can try uninstalling the HID-compliant game controller in Device Manager, then close DS4 Windows and disconnect and reconnect your controller. Afterward, open DS4 Windows again, and your controller should be detected.
Fix 4: Uninstall the Game Controller Driver
If you’re still unable to resolve the DS4 Windows connection issue, other device drivers may be causing the problem. You can try the following steps to diagnose the issue:
- Press the ‘Windows + R’ keys on your keyboard simultaneously and then type “control panel” in the Run dialog box. Press Enter.
- Click on View devices and printers under “Hardware and Sound.”
- Locate your controller and right-click it. Select Properties.
- Switch to the Hardware tab and double-click on the HID-compliant game controller.
- Navigate to the Driver tab and choose the Uninstall device option.
- Once the driver is uninstalled, unplug your controller, restart your PC, and then reconnect your controller using DS4Windows.
- Check if it appears under the Controllers tab.
Fix 5: Uninstall Particular Windows Update
If you’re still having problems with DS4Windows, it’s possible that the problem is caused by a particular Windows update. To fix this, you can try uninstalling the update.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Windows Settings->Update & Security.
- Click on the View Update History.
- On the next window, click on Uninstall updates.
- Look for the latest updates, after which the trouble begins on your system. Select it and click on Uninstall.
- If there are multiple updates that are causing trouble, you can one by one uninstall each of them and then reinstall them.
If you’re having problems with DS4 Windows not detecting your PS4 controller, try each of the fixes mentioned in this article. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app should work for most users, but re-enabling or uninstalling the device driver can also help fix any connection issues.
Hopefully, one of the fixes mentioned in this article has resolved your DS4 Windows issues. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to comment.
Yes, you can use a PS4 controller with your PC as long as it is compatible with the operating system you are running and has the necessary drivers installed. To make sure you have all the necessary components for a successful connection, download DS4 Windows from their website.
DS4 Windows is a free software solution designed to allow you to use your PS4 controller on your PC with full functionality. It allows for the installation of drivers, setting up of profiles, and more. The app also has some additional features such as the ability to hide the controller and even customize the controller’s buttons and functions.
Peter is an Electrical Engineer whose primary interest is tinkering with his computer. He is passionate about Windows 10 Platform and enjoys writing tips and tutorials about it.