Did you know that Windows 10 has this awesome feature called Hosted Network that allows you to make your PC turn into a wireless hotspot? If you didn’t then today’s your lucky day my friend.
When you’re connecting to the internet using any means or methods you can now share it with other devices you use! And the best part is you don’t have to use third-party software. Pretty cool, right?
To fix various Windows 10 problems, we recommend Outbyte PC Repair:
This software will repair common computer errors, protect you from file loss, malware damage, hardware failure, and optimise your computer for peak performance. In three simple steps, you can resolve PC issues and remove virus damage:
- Download Outbyte PC Repair Software
- Click Start Scan to detect Windows 10 issues that may be causing PC issues.
- Click Repair All to fix issues with your computer's security and performance.
This month, Outbyte has been downloaded by 26,078 readers.
Hosted Network is a unique feature that is included with the Network Shell command-line utility. This feature will allow you to create a virtual wireless adapter or virtual Wi-Fi. You will create a SoftAP, which is a software-based wireless access point.
That will allow you to create the hotspot and connect other devices with it. So, let’s get on with it.
How to Create Hotspot in Windows 10?
- Type Command Prompt in the Start search box. Then Right Click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
But before turning on the feature you have to know whether it’s supported by your PC or not. So, let’s check that first.
- After opening Command Prompt first type
NETSH WLAN show driversand hit Enter.
- Look through the generated output and find Hosted network supported if it says Yes, then it is supported by your hardware. And if it’s not supported you can use a USB wireless adapter to get the feature.
Create Hotspot in Windows 10 using Command Prompt
Now, we have to create the hotspot on Windows 10. You might find it a bit tricky but don’t be scared. It’s actually pretty easy. Just follow the steps and you’ll be ok.
- For that firstly, go to Command Prompt (Admin) and enter the following command:
NETSH WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Your_SSID key=Your_Passphrase
Where the SSID would be the name you want to give to your wireless network. Remember it because when you’ll be trying to connect with your PC’s hotspot you will connect it using this name.
And the passphrase will be your password for this hotspot because you don’t want to make it public property, do you? Be sure to give at least 8 character password. It’s really important.
- After creating it you have to activate it. For that enter the following command:
NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork
There you have successfully activated the hotspot.
Till now you have created a hotspot on your Windows 10 PC. But you can’t access it from other devices just yet. So, you have some work left. You need to share this hotspot. For that you have to:
- Firstly, use the Windows key + X shortcut to open the Power User menu, and then select Network Connections.
- Now click on Change adapter options.
- After that, right-click the network adapter with an internet connection. Well, this can be the traditional Ethernet or wireless network adapter. So, go to Ethernet and select Properties. You will be able to see your Hosted Network here.
- Once you’re in, click the Sharing Then check the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection option and then click OK.
And you’re done! So, after this when you’ll try to connect from other devices you will see your hotspot name on the list of available Wi-Fi. So, connect to the internet and enjoy!
Hasib is a born geek and loves tweaking his computer and gadgets for effectiveness and productivity. At WindowsChimp, he specializes in writing Tutorial guides and discovering new hacks to share.
1 thought on “How to Create Hotspots on Windows 10”
Mine isn’t supported hosted network, what should I do?