Ever wonder what happens in between copying and pasting a file? Well, when you copy a file it’s temporarily stored in a place called clipboard. A clipboard is a special place in RAM, where all the copied files are stored on a temporary basis. It’s a unique place that can store text, images or any other kind of data.
And just for this, you get to enjoy the opportunity of copy and paste. But the thing is that you can only store one file at a time. If you copy another file, then the previous one will be replaced.
But what if you don’t want to store data in clipboard or a file can contain data that you don’t want to share. In that case, you have to clear the clipboard so that no one can access the data stored in it.
So, let’s see what can be the best ways to clear clipboard in Windows 10.
Clearing Clipboard in Windows 10
The function is pretty useful when you don’t own your PC, or you’re lending someone one. So, for this scenario, you may not want your files to get leaked or have third party access. So, for doing so just follow the instructions below:
- Step-1: Firstly, you have to go to Run command. For that, press Windows Key + R.
- Step-2: Then in the open dialogue box type the following command:
cmd /c echo.|clip
- Step-3: After that click OK or hit Enter. And you’re done.
Now your clipboard is all cleared up.
Create a Shortcut to Clear Clipboard
Doing the same thing over and over again every five minutes is annoying and unproductive. And so, let’s make a shortcut for it so that it gets super easy every time.
- Step-1: For that firstly, right-click on the desktop.
- Step-2: Then you’ll see a menu; from there choose New, and after that click on Shortcut.
- Step-3: Next in the Type the location of the item field type the following:
cmd /c echo.|clip
And then click Next.
- Step-4: After that give the shortcut a name (any name you want) and then click Finish.
And there, you have successfully created the shortcut to clear the clipboard.
Add a Key Shortcut to Clear Clipboard
Now let’s add a key to the shortcut. That will make things easier for you. Just right after pressing that keyboard shortcut the clipboard will be cleared.
- Step-1: Well, you have to go to Run command again so press Windows Key + R for that.
- Step-2: After that type the following command in the open box:
- Step-3: Now copy the previously creates shortcut to the new folder that opened.
- Step-4: Then, right-click on it and go to Properties.
- Step-5: Go to the Shortcut tab, and click on the Shortcut key field. Now here you have to press the key combination you want to use as a hotkey. So, choose wisely.
- Step-6: After that, click Apply.
Using other Methods
1. Copy other Content
Well, as I said before that clipboard can only store one item at a time, so by just copying any other content you can replace the previous one with the new one. For example, you have copied a file that is very delicate or very personal. So, if you now just copy a single word it the file will be replaced by that word.
And this way you can replace any sensitive or classified files by any meaningless image, word or any stuff.
Well, technically it will not clear the clipboard, but it will serve the same thing you wanted.
2. Use Print Screen
If you don’t want to do the extra work, then you can just simply press the prt sc key on your keyboard. The key takes a screenshot of your desktop, so you’ll be replacing sensitive data with a screen shot.
3. Restart your Computer
Just a simple reboot will clear the clipboard for good. As the clipboard is a part of the RAM so restarting, the PC will clear up any temporary files in it.
And that’s it! These are all the methods you can try to clear the clipboard in Windows 10. All the instructions are pretty easy, so it should be a piece of the case for you. Just follow them and get rid of all your worries.